Monday 10 November 2014

Destructive trends, heartwarming creativity and the ultimate geek squad. Oh, and some lovely little treats, too.

A beautifully customised Zazzy necklace. 
When I first received an email from Niamh O'Dea, I was delighted. Following one of my famous online browsing sessions (those that are prone to lasting several hours and often reduce me to bankruptcy) I happened across the nifty little company that is Zazzy. On a mission to fire up the creativity of shoppers, inspiring them to become their very own jewellery designers, Zazzy believe that the jewellery worn by a person should tell their story. Inspired by their unique concept, I decided to research further. Much to my surprise, as I searched for their Twitter page, I found that they were already following me. It was surely fate. 

I was incredibly flattered when Niamh told me that she'd explored my website and taken a fancy to my writing, particularly to my product reviews. Of course, to hear such lovely things when I have only just begun to establish myself as a feature writer is a beautiful revelation in itself. When she armed me with an oh-so-lovely voucher for €100, I was even more thrilled. On behalf of the Zazzy 'geeks', Niamh invited me to treat myself to some gorgeous customised jewellery, if I would be kind enough to return the favour by writing one of my reviews. It was a deal. 

Whilst I waited (in great anticipation, might I add) for my beautifully unique gifts to arrive, I decided to step into the minds of the Zazzy creators. I believed that such a unique and truly adorable business must have a story to match. So, I caught up with the lovely Niamh during a lunch break and picked her brains for a while. 

What originally inspired the concept of Zazzy? It's so unique and so lovely, and so personal! I'd love to know what originally influenced the idea? 

Well, the idea came from our two co-founders, Gert-Jan and Martijn. They both have a background in 3D printing, and saw the opportunities it was going to open for customers early on. They recognised that 3D printing was going to allow customisation on a mass scale and, seeing the jewellery market saturated with pre-designed pieces with little personality, decided it was a great place to start. Jewellery has always been an intimate and personal affair, whether you are buying it for yourself or gifting it, and while bespoke designs and personalised pieces have always existed, they've also always been quite expensive. 3D printing can change this, but the skills needed to engage with it are out of reach for many of us. So, we build the technology that allows people to customise and design themselves, without needing any 3D modelling, rendering or printing know-how. That's where our tagline, you do the chic, we do the geek, comes in. We've seen more than 100,000 designs created on our platform so far, which is nice proof that this is something people really, really want. 

You believe that jewellery should tell a story. What do you believe the designs on offer say about the minds behind Zazzy and their own story? 

Interesting question! When we start creating a new collection, or 'editor' as we call them, we ask ourselves one question repeatedly; does this offer design freedom to the customer? We started with a text bracelet when Zazzy launched, which allowed shoppers to enter any word, choose their materials and cords and see an instant photo-realistic image of their design. Whilst it doesn't offer a blank canvas, in terms of creativity, it's something people loved and still loved. These days we have nine different editors including, for example, Origami, which encourages users to create really cool linear jewellery by moving straight lines. Better still, we're launching an editor soon that will let you transform any simple sketch, drawing or outline into a piece of jewellery. So hopefully, that's what people see when they look at what we offer: our endless desire to put the customer in the driving seat, to let the customer tell their own story. 


A Zazzy creation should always tell a story. 
What is the strangest design you've ever had to make? What is the funniest? What has been the most inventive? I'm sure there are too many to choose from! 

Strangest? We've had a few curses that we wouldn't dare repeat, although we could be tempted to wear them! The funniest to us tend to be the nerdiest: people are making really interesting pop-culture references using the 8Bit editor, which we love to see! The most inventive was probably an Origami pendant that somebody designed; it was an optical illusion that made one piece look like it was floating. We're constantly surprised by how creative people are. One thing we've discovered time and time again is that you can't predict what people are going to do with the editors. People who don't even consider themselves creative or artistic end up coming up with some of the most startlingly imaginative designs. It really is an awesome thing to see in people, that desire to create something beautiful and unique is heartwarming! 


Users are flocking to the Zazzy 8Bit creator! 
If the Zazzy team could use their 'geek' to change the world, what would they do? 

Super cheesy answer, but probably exactly what we are doing! Encouraging people to engage with their own products obviously makes for a really cool piece of jewellery, but, in the long-term, we believe our jewellery will be held as more precious or meaningful or important than mass-market fare, because each piece is bespoke. We're of a generation that thinks nothing of buying something to be worn or used once, if the price is right. Mass-customisation, whether it's jewellery, clothes or home wares, will hopefully help to turn the tide on this destructive trend. 




How do you hope to expand Zazzy in the future. You're based in Amsterdam (for those who didn't know), but as a multi-lingual company, do you see yourselves becoming an international brand? 

Absolutely. Already we have grown so much and expanded our customer base internationally. We have some pretty exciting plans that will help us to stand out on the international stage, such as a marketplace where users will be able to design and sell. 

What advice would you give to those with a great idea for a product (or editor) hoping to get involved in the Zazzy project?

Easy, get in touch! We love helping people bring their ideas to fruition and we're lucky that we get to do it regularly. And, of course, i'd urge them to sign up for our early entry to our marketplace, where they'll be able to monetise their brilliant ideas and share them with the world. 

Three weeks passed before the postman delivered my gorgeous gifts from Zazzy. I couldn't wait to tear off the wrapping and behold the creations inside. Packaged in the most delicate black pouches, each product came as beautifully wrapped as the last. Inspecting my jewellery, I was absolutely delighted. They were exactly what I'd hoped they would be and so much more besides! 


My gorgeous Oh Gosh bracelet created using the Wordplay editor. 
Sealed with a kiss from Zazzy, my Loulocket.com necklace is simply perfect! 
What sort of fiancee would I be without treating the boy to a little Honeycomb editor bracelet?
I am totally delighted that I discovered Zazzy. I can only despair that they are based all the way in Amsterdam, as I would love to make a visit to their factory a regular affair. However, I will cherish my creations forever. Zazzy use their geek to create the most unique, beautiful and personal designs to make the contents of their users' jewellery boxes that little more special. And I just love it so much! 

One more question, Niamh? 

Sure! Fire away! 

Can I get a woop woop?

Woop woop!

Do you have a favourite Zazzy editor?
Follow me @_Loulocket.
Lou x

No comments:

Post a Comment