Tuesday 21 October 2014

Unit 51: A gem at the heart of the creative quarter.

One of the greatest passions in life is food. That is precisely the reason why I spend so much of my time hunting down those quirky hidden gems so luxurious that they become my go-to places when i'm feeling glum, or if i'm feeling particularly generous and decide to take my fiancé out for a romantic lunch date. Upon discovering Unit 51, situated at the heart of the Baltic Triangle's creative quarter, I was absolutely delighted. It was immediately decided that a visit was nothing short of obligatory. After longingly browsing their detailed online menu, my colleague and I simply couldn't resist a visit during our lunch hour. So, bracing ourselves against the ruthless wind and rain, we buttoned up our coats and headed down to what I believed was soon to establish itself as my favourite lunchtime hangout. 


The décor in Unit 51 is just so adorable. 
I was particularly fond of the pots and jars!
Upon entering, I couldn't help but acknowledge the vibrant, bohemian atmosphere of the café. Filled with creative individuals and quirky décor, the venue is perfect for those seeking the perfect spot for inspiration, catching up with their friends or taking that all important me time during an otherwise hectic day. Scattered around the café are vintage pots and pans, kitchen equipment such as retro scales and jars, along with wicker baskets abundant with autumnal vegetables. A lovely touch!


The divine hot chocolate! I certainly made a good decision! 
With a delightful range of hot and cold drinks on offer, choosing a drink is equally as challenging as choosing a meal in Unit 51...for all the right reasons, of course. Being the self-confessed chocoholic that I am, I couldn't resist opting for their (large) hot chocolate. As soon as my drink arrived, I knew that I had made a wise decision. My colleague decided on the oranges and lemons This Water, which was certainly fruity and very refreshing. As we were both particularly hungry (we foolishly avoided breakfast knowing that we'd be paying a visit to the lovely venue) we decided that we would order some sharer platters to get things started! 


Our heavenly platter! 
We decided to order the granary bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, as well as the crusty bread and hummus. Bursting with delicious flavour, the starters were absolutely heavenly. The portions were very generous; perfect for sharing! Artistically arranged on a plate of slate, the starters were not only delicious, but beautifully presented, too! 


The Unit 51 Deli Bagel! Yum!
After much (painstaking) deliberation, we finally decided on our mains. I ordered the Unit 51 Deli Bagel, a specialty recommended by the lovely Sarah. A delightful combination of pastrami, gherkin, cheese, mayonnaise and mustard served on a fresh and crispy bagel, it was an instant hit! It was clear that each of the ingredients was of the highest quality, fresh and prepared lovingly to perfection. My colleague opted for the special of the day; Risotto served with fresh Portobello mushrooms and Parmesan...and she thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. We were both impressed by the excellent presentation, outstanding quality and delightful taste of both dishes. It was clear to us both that the chef was exceptionally passionate about his works of art. 


My colleague just loved the risotto. 

I am an avid lover of fruity tea, with a particular passion for Unit 51's divine Deliciously Almond and Cherry. Luxurious rooibos tea, layered with sweet cherries and slices of almond, the tea is renowned for tasting like a heavenly slice of cherry bakewell in a cute little cup. Whilst almond and cherry is my favourite, I was absolutely elated when I spotted the seemingly endless jars of fruit teas available at Unit 51. 


A briefcase filled with heavenly fruity tea is my idea of heaven! 
So much tea, only one lifetime... 
There are many delicious desserts and treats on offer at Unit 51, including their gorgeous homemade cakes, but after consuming so much bread the risk of me bursting was dangerously high. So, I decided to order one of their fruity smoothies instead. I decided on banana and peach, and I was not disappointed with my choice. Freshly blended using fresh fruit, the smoothie actually aided my bloating and made me feel completely refreshed! I was surprised by how wonderfully the flavours complemented one another! 


Peach and banana smoothie! The perfect post-lunch boost!
My colleague decided that she couldn't resist one of the lovely cakes, and so she decided to order a toffee and peanut butter muffin, topped with mascarpone cheese and fudge pieces. Despite feeling full, I couldn't resist a cheeky nibble...and I instantly regretted my decision not to order my own. The cakes were just as divine as the main meals, and I will certainly be making a pit stop or two on my way into work, to pick up one of their heavenly creations.

A little piece of perfection. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment