Tuesday 28 October 2014

Lindsey Stirling; a dubstep violinist.


Admiring her petite frame, beautifully structured doe-eyed face and noting her commendable devotion to her violin (which never seems to be far from her side) Lindsey Stirling is a picture of delightfully childlike splendor. Dedicate just thirty seconds to her YouTube channel, and it soon becomes clear that there's a great truth behind the old platitude looks can be deceiving. I first discovered Lindsey's unique talent during one of my famous five-hour-YouTube-binges, and I fell in love. One of the fastest-flourishing breakthrough artists of the moment, Lindsey's determination and distinction has led her from strength to strength.

In a world where the appearance of a person is all too often adjudged ahead of their impeccable talents or abilities, Lindsey is no stranger to the limitations of a distinctive essence of beauty. Told from the start that she had too sui-generis a look and too exclusive a sound, Lindsey was (for a very long time) told that she would simply never make it as a musician in such a cut-throat industry. However, it was precisely that unique edge that led Lindsey to the success she thrives on today. Talking the image of woman, making it over life's hurdles and her upcoming tour, I caught up with Lindsey over lunch, and she was a delight.  




You struggled to find your place in music because you are so different. How does it feel to be on the other side of that struggle? To know you've finally made it?

Honestly, completely surreal! I was told so many times that because I was so different I would never find my identity and I would never make it. What I do is very unique and fortunately, my unique identity is the exact reason why I have made it, and I am just so incredibly grateful to have achieved so much. I like to think I have defied the stereotype of coming from  a YouTube background, because YouTubers are typically known for covers, but I'm different and I like to think I've done us all a service by making it this far! I like to think I haven't peaked yet, and that I will continue to grow as an artist. I like the idea that anything could be waiting for me around the corner! 

The concept of the unknown is certainly exciting, and scary! It must keep you on your toes! I also believe that you not only struggled with your identity as an artist, but with body image too? Would you mind telling me a little bit more about that? 

All women are shaped differently and very, very few women are shaped like a Barbie Doll. The expectation that women should look that way attaches value to sexuality. People should always be aware that there are many different types of beauty, there are many different types of style and personality and no one particular way is right. It's important to be healthy and it's important to be the best self that you can be and I like to try to exercise the importance of difference through my music, to prove that no one particular way is right. When I first started out I was told so many times that I was just too different, too unmarketable and too unique and that I would never make it. And it's funny because that's the very reason that I have succeeded, because what I do is unique and it gave me a place to stand rather than trying to fit and squeeze into an over-saturated world where everybody wanted me to be the same. The same way that I was respected for being different, people should all be respected for being different! That's kinda what makes the world a beautiful place, is that we all have different things to share and offer. We are like a big pot of potpourri rather than everybody being the exact same scent.

(I tell Lindsey that I completely agree, and that is it SO refreshing to finally hear such wise words of wisdom from somebody who has not only experienced feeling like her body is unacceptable somehow, but somebody whose voice will undoubtedly be heard by girls torturing themselves for having a little extra meat on their bones). 

I too have felt like I don't fit in because I don't look like a Barbie Doll so I can fully relate to the experiences you had. The world is beautiful because everybody is so different and so vibrant in their own unique ways. Should we be defined by our looks or by the fantastic talents we all possess? 

Exactly and what makes me feel so sad is that no matter what you look like, that isn't where your happiness is sourced. It just doesn't create happiness! I learned that the hard way. I mean I do have a pretty thin, petite frame and yet I remember looking in the mirror and feeling like I was so fat and so ugly. I pretty much look the same now as I did then except, you know I'm actually 15 pounds heavier now than I used to be and I look in the mirror and I am able to think to myself that I look beautiful and that I look nice and that was an impossible thing for me to see when I was struggling with anorexia. The whole experience taught me that the sustaining happiness we think we have when we're unhealthily skinny is so false, it's so fickle and it actually doesn't give you any true happiness! It actually sucks the happiness away from you, because all you're focusing on is looking a particular way and, really, even you don't want to look like that. 

Based on your experiences with battling anorexia, is there a particular message that you would send out to those girls who are battling the same thing, or are constantly feeling that their bodies are not adequate?

If you look for happiness in the way you look or the shape of your body, that happiness will never be real. True happiness simply has to come from other things, it has to come from relationships or learning to love yourself for who you really are. The time when I was the skinniest and possibly perceived as my most 'perfect' or my 'most beautiful' was also the time in my life when I was the most unhappy. When the world tries to convince you of what will make you happy, you have to know in your heart that it never will. 

Your unique, individual style sets you aside as totally different from any other artist on the planet right now, which is amazing! You have your own unique identity! But, have you ever been likened to anybody?

I guess you could say I'm like a modern day Vanessa-Mae. She was a hugely successful, fantastic violinist in the 90's, and she was also a great source of inspiration for me. She's great! 


You have quite a record of exciting collaborations with world famous artists from Jessie J to John Legend...but I'm dying to know, who has been your favourite?

Ummm (laughs) I wouldn't say I had an actual favourite because it has been such a wonderful honour to be able to collaborate with everybody that I have. If I had to pick the most fun collaboration though, it would definitely be my experience with The Piano Guys. They are so fun, super talented and we got along just great! Our sounds worked so well together. 

You've been nominated at both the Teen Choice Awards and the Billboard Awards. How does that feel? You have achieved so much!

Oh wow, I don't even know. I was actually so surprised to be nominated, but I am so touched that I was! It seems totally crazy to be walking along a red carpet with the likes of Jason Derulo. It's weird because I feel so out of place, and then I suddenly think OH MAN, I ACTUALLY BELONG HERE! (Yes, Lindsey actually got a little excited and started shouting, and rightfully so!) It's crazy, but wonderful crazy. 

You're from Arizona, right? Well, I have never been to Arizona, so could you tell me what the most exciting thing about Arizona is?

Well it is VERY hot for most of the year so we do a lot of swimming! I grew up in Arizona, and I loved growing up there because I grew up in a very rural area, and I remember loving the fact that I had chickens in my back yard! Me and my best friend Johnny would always go and collect the eggs and we would build huge hay forts and play house in them and run and play in the cornfields and I just loved growing up in that environment. It was super friendly to the imagination to be able to just explore. The adventures that could be had were wonderful. 

Arizona sounds like such a lovely place. Where we are in Liverpool isn't always so sunny, so we tend to do maybe a little less swimming than you! Am I right in thinking that you're actually coming to Liverpool very soon for a tour?

Yes! You are, we're actually wrapping the tour up there! 

Are you excited to visit us for the very first time?

Yes! I am very excited! It's so cool to be able to take our tour to places we've never been to before! We have only ever played in London in the UK so it will be pretty cool to venture out a little bit and head over to you guys in Liverpool! 

We're certainly excited to have you here, too! My final question is a bit of a cheeky one! Are there any exciting projects in the pipeline that you can give me a sneak preview of?

Oh, yes. I've just finished a Dragon Age cover. I haven't done a video game song for a while but I've got to do one for my favourite fans so I know they'll all be very excited about that. I don't actually have any cool, crazy collaborations coming up but I always have stuff in mind that I'm thinking about and I'm starting to write for a film! I'm very excited about that, although I can't say what it is yet! Watch this space!








No comments:

Post a Comment